Tuesday, July 14, 2009

sucking wind

So today was the first attempt at speedwork I have made in several weeks. I was running a lot of hill repeats in preparation for the Mt Washington race but no real speedwork to speak of.

Since I missed yesterday (work BS) I opted to stretch today's run from my 'scheduled' 5 miles to 8 miles and for the hell of it, I was going to shoot for a few tempo miles, just a few, mixed in. I figured my tempo pace would be ~7:30 +/-. As I was mushing along, my breathing was heavy and my level of effort was pretty significant, but I felt strong. Turns out my tempo pace was between 7:08 and 7:12 for 3 miles. Nice! It's definitely a lot more work hauling around ~9Lbs more than I have been for the past 2 years but I'm psyched that the pace was there. Gives me a good place to start.
And the last 3 miles I ran as recovery felt fairly effortless - except the last 200 yards. My form was good, my breathing didn't feel labored and the miles just melted away.

This was the first run in 2 weeks that I can say I feel okay about. Progress I guess.
I have to get some of these projects off my plate at work to free up some time. It's really cramping my style.

And I have to find a fall race. Damn, OBX looks fun.

2 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

You are back with some great paces!

Where did the 9 pounds come from? Life? Being a dad? Work interfering with running? All of the above?

Dan said...

laziness. time off. ice cream. beer. getting older. missing runs b/c of work. ben & jerry. red hook esb.
everyone else is losing to that means i gain. it's newton's law - matter can neither be created nor destroyed.