Tuesday, September 30, 2008

It's got a name...I guess

The past 2 days I hit the gym for a deuce, practicing sinking prevention and ran a few boring miles. Today was 800 yds followed up with a 4.25 mile run. Yesterday was 850 yds (I think) and 4 miles. I feel like a truck. But today I did manage a 1/2 mile surge at ~7:50 pace, rested at a relaxed pace and then another 1/4 mile at 7:50 and then dropped it down for 1/3 mile to 7:30. It felt good to get some speed in and I have an off day tomorrow b/c I'm off at a business seminar in Boston all day - no chance to run.

My legs feel tired.

The good news is there wasn't any pain w/either run. I had the TM on 1% elevation if only to burn a few more calories and not pound the crap out of my legs too badly.

So the initial diagnosis for the tingling in my calf seems to be Exercise-Induced Compartment Syndrome. A friend of mine (happens to be one of the guys I run w/sometimes) is an ortho surgeon and gave me an over-the-cell phone diagnosis (via text messaging). I should get an examination but if it doesn't get any worse, I'm not too worried about it. Another friend/running partner of mine, also a friend of the ortho surgeon, is a PT. Her Rx = no hill workouts, foam roller and ice. The 'no hills' is gonna to kill me - flat terrain doesn't really exist around here.
Strange diagnosis b/c there really isn't anymore pain (knock on wood) and when it was painful, it wasn't in my shin.

As I posted in KR, my monthly mileage total is ~55 miles...ouch! I have some swimming and biking (I didn't track those totals), but nothing to write home about. That's gonna hurt on November 23 - that's about the only thing I'm confident about right now.

The 10% rule is probably going to have to go out the window over the next several weeks.

5 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Yeah - you updated your blog again! You're gonna be addicted to it soon.

So if you get diagnosed via text message, do you get a cheaper rate from the doc?

Glad you have an idea of what it is and what to do (or not do). You can still do the marathon - just readjust goals if necessary.

At least you are logging some miles again now.

sauconRunner said...

I didn't even know you had a blog! I added you to my bloglist!

Maria said...

Compartment syndrome always makes me think of those overheard on airplanes ...did you not stow yourself properly??? :-)

I'm glad you've got an idea as to what's going on though, try to avoid the hills as best you can - I saw your hood, that definitely won't be easy.

Maria said...

That s/b overheads on planes ...geez.

solarpowered said...

Dan! I didn't realize you had a blog!

Be smart about the calf, get as much other cardio in as you can, try to keep up your fitness, and you'll be able to tackle Philly.

Seriously, though, with how tall you are, how many strokes does it take for you to get to the other end of the pool? 4?

;)