Monday, March 16, 2009

Cram Training

I'm really missing my Friday runs. Last Friday I was planning on just a simple 3 or 4 miles - up and down my driveway if I had to but it just didn't happen. So I'm relegated to 4X / week which I don't feel like is enough. What do I do about it? Likely nothing - grin and bear it. I'm probably going to pile the lil'one in the jogger this Friday and grab a few miles. It's supposed to be in the mid-50's which is a rarity. This winter has been a tough one with the freezing temperatures and snow so the opportunities to take her out have been just about nil.
The challenges? What if I have to hit the woods while we're out? Showering afterwards. Guess that'll have to wait and she'll have to play with a stinky da-da.

We'll see if it happens.
I think there's also significantly more resentment in DW this year.

It's now 5 weeks till race day and I'm not feeling 'it' just yet. The hardening process hasn't really gone to plan and I was really questioning my mental stamina while on my 20-miler this past weekend. The run went fine even though I felt like total arsss. Nothing was really clicking until about mile 8 and auto-pilot started to flicker on & off. I think I should slow my overall pace down a little and go for more endurance. Running a 20-miler at an 8:35 mpm isn't really where I want/need to be to pile on endurance miles.

Last few week's mileage totals:
Last week (w/e 3/15): 41.6m
Week prior (w/e 3/8): 28m (intestinal flu)

Last week I had a nice long tempo run w/my tempo pace held for 6 miles of the 10 miles (I know that's not how Hal Higdon explains how to run a tempo). My pace varied between 6:56 and 7:12 with my last tempo mile at 7:28 (2 hills in there). I was happy and wasn't gassed after the run - tired but still had some energy left.
Today I had an 8 miler with 6 hill repeats of 1:22, 1:21, 1:24, 1:24, 1:24 and 1:25. It's a nasty little hill with 2 steep parts at the end. Again, a good workout and I felt a little stonger than weeks past. I guess I'm recovered from giving blood.

Maria - feel free to whip up a few batches of those tasty vittles you mentioned. Who's got time to make that stuff???

2 comments:

Maria said...

Whoa! That's one juiced up tempo run - nice work.

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

You are doing remarkably well considering all the time you've had to take off. That is a speedy tempo and a good paced long run.

Way to get the little one involved in your running!