Sunday, March 8, 2009

monthly update

Seems like that's what it's coming down to these days. You'd think I'd have time to write since I seem to be sick all of the time.
Nope.

Anyway, I'm hoping I'm over whatever nasty little microscopic tasmanian devil decided to make his home in my intestines over the past 3 days. Someone on KR said something about lung butter? I have an analogy for the other end that I think I'll refrain from using but it has to do with a certain canned chocolate drink that comes in a yellow can.

Anyway, I hope I'm finally over it. Complete under-nutrition and near total dehydration caused my 20-miler to be postponed this weekend. I was really looking forward to it w/the warmer temperatures too. So, instead of a step back weekend in 2 weeks, I'll be running 20/22/20 over the next 3 weekends. The 3rd long run is a race but it'll be an endurance run for me - with support along the ME/NH/MA coast. I have to hit the gym for some XT'ing. Especially with 3 tough weeks coming up.
My total mileage is waaaaay down from last year. But my pace is faster (I think) even on my long runs which really may not be a better thing.
w/e - miles (LR)
3/08/09 - 28 (8.8 - midweek run)
3/01/09 - 36.4 (12)
2/22/09 - 42.6 (20.1)
2/15/09 - 41.1 (13.1)
2/08/09 - 32.5 (18.7)

I'm hoping that I'm getting enough volume. I think the 'quality' runs have been there but the volume to build endurance has suffered this year. I also need to hit a tempo run outside this week. The past 2 tempos have been on the TM although they have gone fairly well.
And my diet has absolutely bit. 'Tis time to clean it up and vary the input a little. I need suggestions - what do you eat? My pre-run snack and lunch is pretty much the same thing every day, when I have a chance to make it and eat it. Stoneyfield yogurt smoothie, PB & J on whole wheat, apple, banana, yogurt (sometimes), granola bar, sometimes a turkey/cheese sandwich if we have bread & the fixings. I did just buy a jar of almond butter and it's a very different taste.

One other thought: I'm at the point in my training where I'd really like to run w/someone for even a portion of my LRs. It provides a little motivation and entertainment, sometimes just enough to get over the hump and make me feel like I'm doing something I want to do and not something I have to do. It's just the timing thing and finding someone of similar pace, flexible time, etc. My 3 other (former) running partners just aren't there anymore - family, etc. I think I need to go on a running group date or something. Thing is the local groups go out on Sat AM around here and I'm stuck at home until around noon to allow the better half her weekend gym time.

2 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Your diet doesn't sound bad. Or you mean that's what you eat when your eating healthy, but you just haven't been eating it?

I'm not much help - I run in the a.m. on an empty stomach during the week and with oatmeal on the weekends.

Diet is my downfall too. I've been feeling like I can reward myself for all my mileage and effort and I've been eating tons of pizza, nachos, beer and cookies. I can't stop.

You are still getting in some decent long runs. Stay healthy the next 3 weeks and get your 20/22/20 in and you will break 3:37!

Maria said...

Some of my staples are a simple tuna salad for lunch or Pacific Naturals soups or veggie sandwiches (whatever I have on hand). For dinner I eat lots of fish and will do a squash ravioli or similar (this can also be done for lunch)