Monday, November 10, 2008

The 20

The one and only 20-miler before Philly was about what I expected it to be...brutal.

Unfortunately this training cycle was cut short due to the bumb calf. Typically I try to put between 2 and 5 20-22 milers under my belt so I'm going in a bit under prepared, a few miles short and a few pints low on confidence.

My previous weekend long runs prior to this weekend were 5, 9.4, 13.3, 16, 18 and 13.3 - all post-calf injury. All went relatively well and all were on a stone dust and pancake flat trail (abandoned rail bed). So undoubtedly, running 20 miles on pavement and with a few NH hills thrown in was going to be a challenge. I had one shot at 20 miles so I thought I'd really make the most of it. (I wish I could post a pic of the elevation profile)

I think it made the most of me.

It hurt.
A lot.
From the first few steps to the last. I knew I was due for a crappy run so I'm hoping I was able to get it out of my system prior to 11/23.

The one thing that's been missing has been that one run that really clicks. You know, THAT run where the miles just pass underfoot while the legs seem to go on autopilot. I haven't had one of those runs in a long, long time.

We'll see what 2 weeks of rest bring.

I'm now finding that one of the toughest decisions I have to make is what sort of treat to put in my bag for a post-marathon snack. I'm thinking of whipping up a batch of Grammy Clark's Whoopie Pies (I may just be able to bring a few extra).



Swimming update: I have timed my last three 1,000 yard pool sessions but they're not getting any quicker. Not that I care about that right now, but that's the only real measureable progress I can track right now. I can't swim the 1,000 consecutively. In fact I stop to catch my breath about 10 times. I have been able to increase the intervals that I'm swimming from 50 to 100 yards each, which is good and it's progress.

I like the challenge though. And I do feel faster in the speedo suit. I don't think I could go back to a baggy suit to swim laps.



Some other follow-up:

Pace predictors - I don't put a lot of value on them either. They make a good time killer and it's just kind of cool to see where some simple algorithms put your finishing time.

My long intervals (600 - 1200's) are typically run at a more uncomfortable pace - around 6:30 - 6:45 mpm.



I'm looking forward to meeting and seeing you guys in Philly!

4 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Whoopie Pies?! I just may have to book a flight to Philly after all!

Well there you go. You got your crappy run out of the way, now you are due for a good one. Philly will be the one that clicks. Guarantee it.

And if not, there are pints of beer and Whopie Pies to make you feel better (what the heck are they, by the way?)

solarpowered said...

Dan! Promise the woman whoopie pies! Whatever it takes to get RFTL to Philly! :D

I'm looking forward to seeing you next weekend. Sounds like you're due for a good, solid run!

Dan said...

Hey, I put it out there...the nibbler has to take the bait so we can set the hook.

Book your flight already!!! You can run an 8K w/your eyes closed.

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

I'll have to check my kitchen pass, but I'm pretty sure it was good only for a marathon, and not for traveling to different state for an 8k and Whoppie Pies. Pretty sure the pass would be revoked under those terms!