Thursday, November 6, 2008

Catching Up After a Little Hiatus

Ok, so it's been over a week since I posted. Shoot me.
I can't seem to keep up with life these days. My choices....run/swim/bike or write about running/swimming/biking - or the lack thereof.

Activity since 10/27:
M: 7.9m tempo (4 miles at tempo - 7:13 mpm pace)
T: 5.5m (8:50 mpm)
W: 5.2m (8:30 mpm)
Th: swam 1000 yds (I started to record my elapsed time, including my breaks between laps)
F:0 - planned on 4 miles but I figured the rest would be better.
Sa - 13.3 in the dark. See below.
---
M: 6m tempo (4+ miles @ 7:01/7:18 mpm)
T: 8m (8:10 mpm - faster than I wanted but I had to get back to work)
W: 6.3m (8:37 mpm, again a bit quick but it was comfortable)
Th: nuthin. Home w/a sick kiddo. She had a 102.2* fever last night! Ugh, poor little thing.

So, I'm happy that I have been able to fold some tempo runs in...finally. The speedwork is so critical to stretching out the endurance. I just don't have the long mile endurance to back it up. I need another 3 or 4 weeks to feel a bit more ready. I can feel the 'hardening' (as I like to call it) starting to set in though. I call it hardening where the mind and body start to really accept the long mileage - the training, time alone running and the resolve starts to really settle in. I do feel the difference in my legs also - the hardening that is, but the mental boost is what I'm really after. I'll only have one 20-miler going into Philly whereas I had 5 this spring and at least 2 or 3 for previous marathon efforts. This could get ugly.

So, my 13.3 miler this past Saturday.
A few things happened. DW and I had planned on going out Sat night with one of my Boston running friends (can't call him a running partner b/c we only ran together once or twice). They bailed b/c they didn't have a sitter (and they picked the date!?!). I dropped DD off at my 'rents house in the afternoon and hit the local trail, knowing I had maybe an hour of daylight left.
It got dark fast!
At about mile 3.5 I heard some rustling in the trees and spooked a deer, only to then hear more rusltling. Turns out a partridge took a liking to me, walked up to within 3 or 4 feet and hung around a bit. I started to run off and it started to run with me?!? This bird was so dumb I don't think it'll ever get shot (it is hunting season afterall).
So, I continued on and got to the turnaround point - my headlamp was already on.
Coming back, I had the waning sunset at my back but the canopy pretty much drowned out any daylight that lingered. It is an abandoned and refurbished rail bed (stone dust) however the slight undulations provided for an uneven landing surface...in the dark. The light from my headlamp made it feel like I was running while looking through a piece of pipe. Other than the illuminated portion in front of me, I couldn't see a darn thing. Very mind numbing which isn't a good thing. I stepped in a rodent hole at about mile 12 and realized how stupid I was for attempting to run the trail at night. I tried picking up the pace to get it done but feared a broken ankle, twisted knee, etc.
Thankful that run was done.

DD just woke up from her feverish nap. Gotta go.

2 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Looks like a solid couple weeks. Your tempo is fast.

What's the long run for the weekend?

You're going to PR in Philly.

Dan said...

Hopefully my one and only 20-miler.
I say phhbbbt to MacMillan. ;>) Depending on which PR I put in to the calculator - the paces vary significantly.

And...not a chance.