Monday, October 27, 2008

just thinking

Today's tempo was just too hard I think. I recall running 8m tempos this spring and feeling like I was floating. Today, I think I was busy flattening hills, making potholes and controlling the local insect population (yep, sucked one in at 1.5 miles - a big, hard & crunchy one). I don't mind snacking while running - blueberries, blackberries, grapes, but a big old beetle isn't on my list of high energy snacks.

I looked back at my log/spreadsheet from this spring to see where my tempo pace was. I'm right on pace, but my endurance isn't there. No complaints - just an observation.

Today's result:
0-1.48 8:55 mpm
1.48-4.75 7:13 mpm
4.75-6.51 7:13 mpm
6.51-7.9 8:57 mpm
7:51 mpm average for whole run

I was thinking while running today - dangerous I know. The thought of going for a PR in Philly crossed my mind. I know I'm not in the kind of shape I'd need to be to get after it, but I'm afraid that I might be dumb enough to go for it.

It'll still be fun.
Painful, but fun.

3 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Go for the PR! Why not start out at PR pace and see how it feels and readjust if necessary. You would hate to start out slow and realize too late maybe you could have done it.

If its gonna hurt anyway, may as well go for the PR.

Maria said...

You should start carrying condiments with you ...those snacks would be much tastier!

Theia said...

I like Cindi's comment... You know it's gonna hurt anyway... :)

Keep in mind that Philly is an easier course than the two other marathon courses you've done. Go for it!!! Plus you'll have the biggest cheering section of your marathon career there for you.