Monday, October 13, 2008

A few more thoughts on Rebound

Running 26.2 miles severly depletes those 'deep down' energy (fat) reserves - no doubt about it. Piling on another long distance effort on shortened rest can really test the endurance and stamina, as I found out.
I liken it to pitching a baseball game and coming back on shortened rest. You just need time to recover - the lactic acid buildup can last a good long while and will affect performance if rest/recovery is cut short.

Just running one race really beats you up causing lots of small muscle tears and in some cases, cracks in the bones (as suggested in the latest issue of RW). I don't know the science behind it, but from what I have read the lactic acid also tends to hang around long after the marathon is done. I do think you can train your body to not only survive a quick turnaround but to relish in it...even thrive. Obviously that takes time, lots of time and races.
Case in point....after VCM I spent a few minutes talking to a guy who was taking on the 50-state challenge. He had just knocked off his 27th state if I remember correctly and he said that some of his best marathons came on shortened rest.

Why don't I think I had the energy reserves in the last miles of my 2nd marathon?
I think part of it was diet. I didn't carbo-load as much as I probably should have. I have never done a true 'carbo loading' cycle:

Carbohydrate loading (http://www.usgyms.net/nutrition.htm)
To avoid running out of carbohydrates for energy, some endurance athletes like long-distance runners, swimmers and bicyclists load their muscles with glycogen by eating extra carbohydrates in combination with doing depletion exercises several days before an event:
- First exercise to exhaustion. Your workout must be identical to the upcoming event to deplete the right muscles.
-Then eat a high-carbohydrate diet (70-80 percent carbs, 10-15 percent fat, 10-15 percent protein) and do little or no exercise starting three days before your event.
- Muscles loaded with unused glycogen will be available to work for longer periods of time during competition.
See your doctor for advice before trying a carb-loading diet.

It was also hot that day so that definitely contributed to my pace slowing. I just can't run in the heat - especially after training all winter in New England. I think I would have eaten more pasta/vegetables 2 days before the marathon. I did have an aggressive training plan for the time in between - more recovery miles (i.e., slower pace) probably would have been more beneficial I suppose. But I trusted my training and I knew I had something left in the tank. I think the right recovery plan between races is a key part to being ready.

My pre-marathon routine is pretty well set and has been quite successful for me. The night before, I usually cook a big batch of whole wheat pasta stir-fry with fresh veges (olive oil, broccoli, squash, carrots, asparagus, tomatoes, olives and most importantly, artichoke hearts). No onions or garlic! The morning of the race (2 hours before) I eat a pile of vanilla banana pancakes with real NE maple syrup and maybe some fruit. I don't drink alcohol for 2 weeks prior to the race and I start to hydrate about 4 days in advance - drinking sports drinks (preferably something different than what they're serving at the race) and water often. Peeing clear for a few days is key. I'm also not a big fan of fried foods, pre-race nachos, wings or other greasy (crap) food. Getting a good night of sleep for at least two nights before the race is key also. I need sleep...no doubt.

I was only 25 seconds slower at VCM than my PR in Boston. This included one pit stop (no wait) and removing a rock from my shoe (tied w/double knots). I take that as a definite sign that:
1) I didn't run hard enough in Boston, and/or
2) The VCM course is much easier than Boston and didn't tax me as much.
3) My level of fitness was quite good.

I think they're all true.
I hope this helps.

Apply this quote to running:
"C'mon Meat, don't think. Just throw" - Crash Davis

3 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Yes, your thoughts are helpful. I have to figure out a plan now that I'm committed to another marathon. It will include a lot of easy running though, because the low heart rate training is what I've done since April.

Look at LL - he posted today that he feels 100% recovered. He rebounds quick.

Carbo-loading: I am in a constant state of carbo-loading. I seriously think I eat 70% carbs every day, all year round. Wonder if I should change that up a bit.

Maria said...

A couple great posts Dan!! And especially relevant to me now that I'm considering making another run for 26.2 before the year is up. Thanks so much!

solarpowered said...

You're wise. And helpful. And I'm glad you're my friend. just throw Got it. :)