Thursday, November 6, 2008

Thursday, November 6, 2008 Part II

Here's an article that someone sent to me - just makes you think a little bit.
http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=fitness&category=cardio.activities&conitem=08409179b69fc110VgnVCM10000013281eac____

I haven't topped 45 miles/week while training for Philly - blame it on the bumb calf.
Actually, not until this spring had I ever topped 45 mpw training for a marathon.

I'm not worried about it - I just filed it under one of those things that make you say 'huh'.
And no, there will be no PR'ing in Philly. My (barometer) tempo runs are much more difficult now than they were this spring - same pace, same routes and same distances.

Some other useless information....my McMillan #'s:
Based on my 5K PR, my marathon would be a 3:20:49 - tempo runs at 6:58 - 7:16
Based on my 10K PR, my marathon would be a 3:26:01 - tempo runs at 7:06 - 7:24
Based on my 1/2m PR, my marathon would be a 3:29:30 - tempo runs at 7:16 - 7:35
My marathon PR says to run tempos at 7:33 - 7:52. That doesn't make much sense to me. I thought tempo runs were supposed to hurt.
I presume that everyone's profile is like this. The shorter race PRs yield lower marathon predicted times.
Sure is a fun way to waste some time.

3 comments:

Maria said...

Tempo pace is comfortably hard. It shouldn't hurt like long intervals but rather push you right up against your lactate-threshold.

Theia said...

IronHubby says not to take too much stock in what those pace calculators say. Go by how your paces feel and see if that makes any difference.

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Link didn't work, but now you have me curious.

I'm with maria, I didn't think tempos were supposed to hurt.

Pacer told me take HM PR and double it and add 10 minutes. Ooops - didn't work for me, I doubled mine and added 57 minutes.