Sunday, November 16, 2008

Respect It, But Don't Let It Beat You

That's the way I'm gonna try to go into this weekend.



I'm just not in a good place right now (mentally). I haven't had a good run in a long time and I know that my endurance isn't there. My weight is about the same as this past spring, but I don't have the same 'hardened' feeling. And, I'm pretty certain about how my body is react this weekend.


I'm toying with the idea of putting fast miles behind me and waiting until I crash - bank some time and see how far I can take it. Or, I'll take it slow and steady and stave off the cramps as long as I can. It's going to have to be a race-morning decision. The bummer is that the weather is probably going to be ideal - mid 40's. Perfect for staying cool and no chance of overheating. I'm just bummed about being injured after committing to a 'destination' marathon.


Either way, it's gonna hurt a lot.
But I s'pose it's supposed to.


The biggest problem is and the thing I fear the most is.......I cramp. Bad.
I can drink gallons of fluids, eat salt bricks and drag an IV bag along for the ride but I'll still cramp up. History has shown that the 3:50ish hour mark seems to be the magic number when one of my quads wants to seize up - usually the right one. The grab to that is, the witching hour is 3:50 with a full training cycle under my belt.
That translates to what, 3:15 now? 3:00?


But it won't beat me. I have a few goals in mind, but #1 is no DNFF.


I just can't wait to drink beer, hang w/some cool folks and eat a whoopie pies (that I still have to make).
Then take a week off, run a little the following weeks and start to gear up for April.


I'm not looking forward to this death march.
I hope my predictions are wrong.

3 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Well I'm not alot of help with advice since my one and only marathon my right quad cramped up at mile 8.

Anyhoo - I say if you know the cramps are gonna come, outrun them. If its not gonna be pretty no matter what, why not try to run like hell at the outset and see where it takes you.

When the cramping starts, think about the beer and whoppie pies (you never answered me - what the hell are those things?!) to get you through it.

Maybe you are underestimating your underpreparedness.

solarpowered said...

You may just surprise yourself, and have a great race on training that's out of the norm for you. :)

I'm psyched to see you this weekend!

Theia said...

It's not going to be a death march. It may be a different experience than your other marathons, but don't go into it assuming it's going to be awful. If nothing else, you'll have more fans than ever before to lift your spirits and help you mentally.